Headaches are one of the most common types of pain that a person can experience and normally everyone experiences a headache at some point in their life. Most are just an annoyance and not a serious health concern, but that does not mean you should never see a doctor for them. There are many different types of headaches and levels of severity. Do you know when it is time to see your doctor?
- You have tension, migraine, or cluster headaches and you have taken over the counter medication frequently or at high doses.
- You feel disabled by your pain and cannot perform daily activities.
- If your headaches are getting progressively worse over time.
- If your headache is associated with other neurological conditions like seizures.
- Your headache is associated with muscle weakness or numbness in a limb, personality changes, speech or vision changes.
A doctor may be able to prescribe different medications to control your headaches or even prevent them from occurring. If over-the-counter pain medication is not working properly or if you are experiencing side effects, it is important to develop a pain management plan with a doctor. Neurologists specialize in treating headaches and can help you develop the proper treatment plan for you.